.....it all began with one thread....















Friday, December 18, 2009

Glimpses

I have been working on my reindeer quilt. I thought it would be a lot more difficult than it has been (so far...knock on wood...don't want to jinx things now!)....That linen color (twilight blue) is a sort of gray blue...there's no green in it and it is not a true blue....finding something to match was not going to happen. So, I decided to try and focus on "similar" colors instead. The bottom is a bit darker, with the middle getting a bit lighter and some bits of "snow." After that it lightens just a bit, but becomes dark, once again. The red border actually looks great! I thought at first I must be crazy for even considering red. But I found just the shade of fabric in my stash. Now the only problem is the final outer border. I think I am going to strip piece some of the fabrics that I have already used for that one. But here are a few peeks at it so far....remember, most of it was done without a pattern, just a concept in my head.The bottom darker fabric has sort of an "aurora borealis" look to it...

**(edited for Missy Ann) Ok...I have finally picked myself up off the floor from laughing (at myself, mind you). I knew someone was going to ask me about a "pattern". Unfortunately, "by the seat of my pants" was literally how I did this one. Lined up the reindeer...put a border on the top...tried to line them up evenly...you get the idea, here. But there were a few measurements...basically the strips of fabric...cut into two inch strips out of the sections of McKenna Ryan's fabrics that I thought would work. I really only used two different fabrics for the blues. There are actual "sections" in her fabrics that allow you to sort of pick and choose which part you want to use. The outer borders were five inch strips...and the red one..another two inch strip. That's pretty much as exact as it got. I trimmed and cut until I could get everything to sort of fit. Now remember, too, I did not stitch the borders on my reindeer. Sorry for the rambling...but it was pretty much how it happened. Cut the fabrics, stretch them out with the blocks on the back of my sofa. If I liked it, I sewed it. It just sort of all fell into place by itself. I also know that I will probably never be able to do this again...although I am kind of hoping for my Nora Corbett Letter Fairies....I have had the fabric for that one since my older son was in his last year of college (going on two years now) ;o)

11 comments:

Missy Ann said...

Really brilliant. I love the fabric choices. I completely agree that you've gotten a wonderful snow/aurora borealis effect. The outer border of red is looking great too.

Could I talk you into sharing your measurements/notes for putting this together. I have all the charts and I'm hoping to one day stitch them.

Blu said...

It looks really good. That blue is lovely!

Karen said...

Very pretty...can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Daffycat said...

Ooooo, I've got goosebumps!

Jan said...

It is beeeeauuuuuuuuutiful!

Isadarena said...

Your plaid with those reindeers is
absolutlely wonderful and the fabrics are lovely : great idea !!
Have a great week-end,
Isabelle

AnneMarieke said...

Absolutely beautiful, Michele!

I cannot wait to see what it will look like when you are all done.

The quilting will be wonderful to do on these gorgeous fabrics. Enjoy!

Carol B. said...

Michele -

The quilt looks fabulous!!! Love the fabric choice!! You certainly made good use of the snowy weekend here in Maryland!

Carol

Giovanna said...

This is going to be gorgeous, a true heirloom - what great fabrics you've chosen!

Etha said...

This is so gorgeous!! The fabrics looks dreamy and are a perfect backdrop for the reindeer :)

Connie said...

That is absolutely breathtaking. I love the fabric you chose for the quilt. It sets off the stitching perfectly and it is my favorite winter/Christmas color.